[CAUT] Care and feeding of stage grands

Rick Florence Rick.Florence at asu.edu
Sat Jan 19 11:50:20 MST 2008

Excuse me Barbara, but that would be Arizona STATE, in Tempe, not arizona, down in tucson :-)

It is true, we have found that people do treat the pianos better if we care for them aesthetically as well.  It doesn't mean we don't have damage, or that we always have the budget for all we wish to do, but it is important to us.

As for the concert instruments, we clean them a few times a week during service and touch ups.  We will do minor repairs, but have a poly guy come in every 2-3 years to go over the whole piano (we only have polyester finishes on our stages).  Lid removal is a small pain, but it doesn't happen that often, only a handful of times a semester, and we are ALWAYS asked for permission and guidance.  We have been relatively successful in convincing them that it is hard on the pianos and that, in the hall, it doesn't sound any better.  The only times I have been surprised with a missing lid in the last 15 years have been with visiting artists.  They give me strange looks when I explain to them our protocols of asking permission first and actually folding the covers and storing them on a shelf back stage, as opposed to throwing them on the floor.  Makes me wonder (shudder at) what happens at their halls.

It's rather ironic to me that the same visiting offenders are often the most vocal in their praise of the condition of our pianos, you would think they might see the connection...sigh.

Rick Florence
Senior Piano Technician
Arizona State University
School of Music