[CAUT] PTG Dues

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Fri Jan 11 12:23:52 MST 2008

On Jan 7, 2008, at 9:04 PM, itunepiano at aol.com wrote:

> I would think most full time Cauts would tune at least a few pianos
> on the side, which would then qualify for deductions on a scheduled
> C.  They could even take a business loss (deducting more expense
> than income) if they wanted for two consecutive years (the third
> year loss causes the IRS to call it a "hobby", not a business.  I
> once took a business loss on a band I played in -  Deducted
> equipment purchases against a pitiful income!  Bob.

That really isn't the point.  The point is, that this is yet one more
deduction that the self-employed tech gets with no restrictions that
the employee does not.

On Jan 7, 2008, at 9:35 PM, Elwood Doss wrote:
> Change accountants.
> Joy!
> Elwood

I like my accountant.  He gets me more money back than I know how to
do and he is quite reasonable.  He does taxes and I do pianos.  I
used to do my own taxes back when I was just getting a W-2, but after
it got complicated I turned it over to somebody who spends their time
with taxes.

I took him copies of the three articles Randy Potter wrote for the
PTJ a couple years back and he read them and told me you just can't
do some of that stuff.

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina