[CAUT] PTG Dues

Elwood Doss edoss at utm.edu
Mon Jan 7 19:35:31 MST 2008

Change accountants.

Joy!

Elwood

Elwood Doss, Jr., M.M.E., RPT

Piano Technician/Technical Director

Department of Music

145 Fine Arts Building

The University of Tennessee at Martin

Martin, TN  38238

731/881-1852

FAX: 731/881-7415

HOME: 731/587-5700

________________________________

From: caut-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Jeff Tanner
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2008 2:48 PM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: Re: [CAUT] PTG Dues

On Jan 7, 2008, at 1:08 PM, Willem Blees wrote:

Jeff

IF your only source of income is working for someone else, and you are
required by your employer to belong to a trade organization, and/or your
employer requires you to purchase your own tools to do your work, then
they are deductible.

That would make sense, and if you spend enough, that is true.  But they
are not deductible until the total reaches a certain dollar amount,
which to my best recollection was some percentage breakpoint of your
overall income.  Same basis as deducting health care expenses.  I found
this out several years ago before I started doing outside work.  At the
time, it was something like $1800 minimum before it became deductible.
The next year I bought my SAT III, and I had enough with that, dues and
other tools to qualify for a deduction.  But only after I started doing
supplementary work that went on a Schedule C would my accountant allow
me to deduct tools or PTG dues under whatever that breakpoint was/is.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT

University of South Carolina