[CAUT] bridge-pin experiment

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Jan 3 13:38:26 MST 2008

Hey Joe

The thing is you see... I started off by simply replacing with
undersized pins that were loose in their entire respective pin holes...
and that changed the situation.  That in itself clearly points out that
something else (at least) is also at work besides the loose pin issue.
Otherwise all three would display false beats... and certainly nothing
would improve... but 2 of 3 did improve... one of these completely.

Then, coming to the soaked bridge pin holes.  The only thing that was
essentially different in this before and after scenario is that the wood
around the bridge pin holes had been saturated as far as the CA could
penetrate.  I suppose its easy enough to figure out how much that is in
a mock up... but I haven't done so...yet :) In any case, the old pins
went back in every bit as easy (if not more so) then they came out.

The whole problem with idea that the bridge pin alone is the support for
the string  is ... well. first of it ignores that the <<support>> also
has a support as it were. That in itself is (should be) enough to point
in the direction that the whole thing is more complicated then a simple
single loose pin.  Then too... is the fact that the string vibrates in
virtually every possible direction... and that the phase shift that is
in the end responsible for the beat can be likewise observed in all
directions.

 As cleaning up the notching is concerned.  The notching and string
grooves were unchanged... I made sure and not fill up to the brim as it
were.  Whatever soaked into the top area of the bridge pin holes did so
from wicking up from below.  Transfering vibrations to the back side of
the bridge eh ??.. I haven't really thought much along these lines...
But when you first mention it... the bridge is not infinitely (or even
close to it) stiff or massive.  On some micro level what you suggest may
happen along with all else that happens. The bridge is moveing around in
all directions along with the rest of the string termination and the
string itself... some more easily then others. And its not like the
bridge wood is equally dense... stiff...massive... whatever through out
its entire interiour.  The area very close to the pin seems critical
when it comes to false beating. But it definitely seems very much
involved.

But thats just my take on it.  I've never been one to accept
conventional wisdom at face value without further ado. Regardless of
where any given convention comes from.  I've looked at this time and
time again and two things seem obvious.  1: CA works... for whatever
reason... no doubt about it.  2:  Its simply got to be a lot more
complicated then the loose pin idea allows for.

Cheers
RicB

        Hi Ric,
        Could it be that the CA, in addition to curing the looseness of
        the pin
        problem, also eases the transfer of vibrations across the bridge
        to the back
        segments, as well as cleanes up the notching?

        Joe Goss RPT