[CAUT] measuring wippen weight

Barbara Richmond piano57 at insightbb.com
Wed Sep 26 06:40:07 MDT 2007

Howdy,

I have some Renner Steinway wips that I'm altering to fit a Knabe.  Be joyful that I'm not going to tell the story of all the testing I've done on this action.  Anyway, besides replacing the flanges (obviously), I'm having to move the heel backwards (toward the flange).  When the wips were in their original state, the WW was 17.  Now with the heels moved and the little/angled Knabe flanges on, I can't get the wip to balance so I can get a reading.  Do I just hold it lightly against the "tower?" or tie it with thread or use a rubber band or just ignore it?

This wippen set up is the best (of the many) I've tried--feels good, less friction.  I'm just curious about the numbers.

Thanks,

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, Illinois