[CAUT] Bass Bridge Help!

Keith Roberts keithspiano at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 20:55:57 MDT 2007

Did you check the screws on the soundboard from the back side? I have
loosened the bass strings on old uprights and removed them from the hitch
pins. Takes about half a day to get it ready to restring the bass. The best
thing to do is to scrape or sand the areas of the board that is exposed and
pull the bridge pins. Mix up a pint of West systems epoxy and paint the
board and bridge and any reassembled parts. Sink the new pins into the
epoxied holes and use a rag with acetone to give a good clean wipe on the
bridge cap and around the pins. Be sure to thump the board with your fist
before you epoxy so you can appreciate the sound when you are done. Let the
epoxy cure for an extra day or two. If you slide the hitch pin loops over a
clothes hanger wire it keeps the strings in order and is much easier to
reassemble.

Keith Roberts