[CAUT] Bass Bridge Help!

Ron Poire rpoire at comcast.net
Tue Sep 25 21:06:11 MDT 2007

Jim,
You will probably get a lot of responses.
You may find, that after letting the tension down on all of the bass strings, the bridge will fall off.
If the bridge is well mated to the apron, you can try to insert something in the glue joint, but it will seem tight.
Relaxing the tension on the bass strings will relieve the pressure of the strings against the bridge, then it will most likely fall off.  If it doesn't, give it a couple of wraps with a rubber mallet.  I had a similar experience many years ago on an old upright.  Go around to the back of the piano, and remove any screws holding the bridge assembly to the soundboard, before exerting any real force to remove the bridge.

While the bridge is off, take the opportunity to repair any splits or make a new bridge cap.

cordially,

Ron Poire
laid-off piano technician

University of Minnesota School of Music