[CAUT] move caps float yer boat

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Sep 24 06:44:08 MDT 2007

Avast ye maytee.  Would ya be haven one of those photos for me of this
seaworthy vessel?  I don't quite savvy in me mind what she looks like.
Arrrr  (sounds like a good jig to have, tho :>)  )

"Chris Solliday" <solliday at ptd.net>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
09/21/2007 04:29 PM
Please respond to
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

"College and University Technicians" <caut at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
[CAUT] move caps float yer boat

For Paul W,
Jon Page and Vince M are quite right this is not simple territory. Pre 84
as Fred S has said is probably more the issue of knuckle placement, moving
16 to 17 can result in 15 grams DW reduction. I'm sure Fred is right about
the Renner parts period although it may have been shorter, it was while
they were retooling in NY. Capstan movement achieves not so much. But for
fun Paul why don't you make yourself a boat and float it. Take a piece of
1/4" hobby laminate as a base about the width of a key and less than the
length of a wippen heal and drill a hole for the capstan threads. cut a
capstan (from your stash) down so that it will screw up and down about the
distance of the ones in your action. Screw it in then remove a capstan
from the action, weigh it, and trim the base of the boat or add weight
with lead solder to it with CA glue so that the boat and the capstan weigh
the same. I like to trim mine into the shape of a boat and decorate with
portals, etc. Then slide (float) the boat forward and backward and check
your up and downweights. This is at the very least a good learning tool.
Have fun.
Chris Solliday