[CAUT] S&S Hammers and lacquer

Chris Solliday solliday at ptd.net
Sat Sep 22 11:32:05 MDT 2007

In fact Steinway has been reinforcing hammers chemically since at least 1911. It may not have been  lacquer per se but... see the discussion in Piano Tone Building recently edited by Del Fandrich and available from The Foundation. You've got to go along way to find hammers with no reinforcement in Steinway's history. As Fred implies we can learn to work with these hammers, and frankly despite attempts at conformity and consistency every set from every manufacturer has and always will be different (such indulgent hyperbole) so you've got to learn to build tone and knock it down, both brillance and carry.
I for one am grateful. If tone weren't such an issue I wouldn't have as strong a reason to get out of bed in the morning, and we all know what the absence of that could lead to.
Chris Solliday