[CAUT] S&S Hammers and lacquer

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Sep 22 01:11:59 MDT 2007

Just a bit more to chew on

I repeat an earlier statement, that about the only way one get any real
evidence in the matter is to gather enough of these old original hammers
that are no doubt still around and subject them to chemical analysis.  A
couple other points... I wouldnt overstate any weight given to the Franz
Mohr statement. For the first, there is more internal disagreement about
voicing policys in Steinway then their outside face would reveal... and
thats natural enough. Secondly I know of other examples where key
Steinway folks disagree on a few related issues...  They do put on a
unified front to the outside world.. and a very strongly unified one,
but they are human like the rest of us and will disagree.  Then too...
there is not much written about the use of lacquer in older texts
dealing with voicing.  This may just as well because the voicer was
assumed to deal with the finished hammer as delivered and that lacqure
was an assumed part of the process in some places... or it may be
indicative of it not being used.... again... hard to be sure one way or
the other.

Not that any of this really matters.... seems to me this tangent was a
spin-off of the how to keep things original bit... what constitutes
change, what constitutes so much change that a name shift should be
required.... and how much liberty in self expression a tech can / must /
should take.

I think Jeff raised some fine points in fine style, and tho I stand by
my develop your own style bit... I certainly am willing to follow him a
long ways down that road.

Cheers
RicB