[CAUT] moving capstans question

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Fri Sep 21 08:56:16 MDT 2007

>...DW close to 70g throughout.  It has a renner action and hammers.  the wips
>and capstans are such that I could relocate the capstans back by about
>3-4mm.  Would that make a big enough difference in the DW? It won't affect
>the line.  I looked at raising the stack, but there isn't enough room to
>raise it more than 1-2mm.  Should I try both?
>
>Also, is the measurement in Steinways made from center of balance rail
>hole on the top of the key, or from the back of the key?  This is a new
>endeavor for me and I don't want to make things worse.

Moving the stack back by that much would lower the BW by about 4 g
and lower friction a tad.
Moving the capstans back by that much would raise the BW by about 4 g
and increase friction a tad.

Get someone who is adept with action geometry and start your learning process.
Don't jump right in blind unless you have hours and hours to burn with the
prospects of having to re-do alterations.
--

Regards,

Jon Page