[CAUT] My take on them, (was The "new" S&S Hammers).

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Sep 20 16:00:36 MDT 2007

I agree that different manufacturers have their own sound.  Moreover, I
think it's important to realize that the sound is a function of more than
just the hammer.  It comes about as a combination of the string scaling,
soundboard design and response, the hammer (to name the three basic
elements).  Simply changing a hammer on a Steinway or a Yamaha will not
necessarily dramatically alter the character of the piano, especially after
reasonable voicing practices are employed.  It may bring you more quickly to
a level of voicing that you might otherwise have a difficult time achieving,
but the essential character of the piano will remain.  Otherwise, we could
get ourselves a Steinway just by putting Steinway hammers on a Yamaha.  Of
course, that doesn't quite work.  There have been several illustrations at
various conventions where a lecturer has set up a piano with 10 different
hammers in a row and voiced them such that it was very difficult to tell the
difference between any of them.  Which is not to say that the hammer is not
important, it is.  But there is more to changing the character of a piano
than just selecting a different hammer.  In that respect I agree with Ric
that we should have no qualms about changing hammers if we think it more
easily gets us to our tonal target (and keeps us there).

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com