[CAUT] Steinway D damper quirks

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 19 05:49:08 MDT 2007

John-

This harmonic after ring on F2 is usually caused by a lateral wobbling of
the damper head. To test, lightly touch the side (not the top) of the
damper, and the harmonic will stop. I believe you'll find that it is the 8th
partial, and that the vertical damper wire is at exactly one eigth of the
string length, so it forms an axis and lets the string vibrate.  It will be
even more disturbing after a staccato F5.

This problem will appear after the piano has been tuned, so the tuner may be
blamed for messing up the F5 damper when in fact he is guilty of tuning too
good a unison at F2

If this is the case, there is a quick fix: Mistune one of the strings to
beat about 1 bps at the 8th partial. This way the strings will be out of
phase at the damper head, and will push against each other to stop the
wobble!  The very slight mis-tuning (1 beat every 8 seconds at F2) will help
with the voicing over the bass break. It will make a pretty good imitation
of a wound trichord unison.

Ed Sutton