[CAUT] Steinway D damper quirks

John Minor jminor at uiuc.edu
Tue Sep 18 22:09:30 MDT 2007

I recently replaced a set of dampers on a 10 year old Steinway D in the small living room of an accomplished pianist and had great difficulty with a few felts dampening completely. The first note in the treble, #21, has a nasty harmonic that I was unable to completely remove, no matter what configuration of placement of the felt.  The other major problem note was the lowest trichord in the bass. The felt just did not want to settle between the thick windings. We tried to determine if the problem was caused by sympathetic harmonics off of other notes, but ruled this out on these problems. I was using NY Steinway felts. I would appreciate any help on this.

We also discovered definite  after-ring from the duplex scale in the tenor, which I will "correct" with stringing braid when I return. This ring may be  desirable in a large hall, but in a small living room it's too much.

John Minor
University of Illinois