[CAUT] Tone "contrast"; Was - The "new" S&S Hammers.

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Sep 19 03:56:41 MDT 2007

I dont think anyone mentioned Rochester...... Where does all this
jumping to conclusions about what other people are talking about come
from ? Why is there so much defensive and very liberal reading into
others words meanings that are not necessarily there ?

When Ron first asks the specific question about his D++.... for the
first it has nothing to do with  Steinway D.  Let us be clear on that
matter. Any claim to the contrary is a simple falsehood IMVHO.
Secondly... it was not just a couple three months back David did indeed
air frustration over a unspecified number of pianists who reacted
negatively to it on what I personally would agree (based on Davids
descriptions at the time) were grounds that bordered on the realm of
prejudice.

You simply can not make a piano that will please all the people all the
time. And like it or not... for whatever reasons , justified or not...
the only instrument that has ever come even close is the Steinway...
complete with front and back duplex, without Baldwins vertical
hitchpins... with compression soundboards... etc etc ad absurdum.  I am
indeed sorry if anyone finds that fact (and it is a bald bold undeniable
fact) uncomfortable.... but hey.... thats life.

RicB

    Jim,
    I'd like the short list of those "pretty" pianos at Rochester
    that didn't do it for you, please. A straightforward naming of
    names, so we who brought pianos will know where we stand and
    where and how we failed. Specifics, if you please, for our
    education. How else will we learn?

    David,
    Has anyone at SMU complained about the narrow palette of
    colors available from the D+ I did for you folks? If so, why
    haven't I heard about it?

    I'd really appreciate some specificity here from both of you,
    so those of us on the block from Rochester (and elsewhere)
    will have a clue what the bitch is, to better evaluate our
    methods and general philosophies toward rebuilding.

    Thanks,
    Ron N