[CAUT] The "new" S&S Hammers.

Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel) WOLFLEEL at ucmail.uc.edu
Thu Sep 13 14:19:24 MDT 2007

Dennis,

I've had nothing but good experience with these hammers and I've found
that the quality control (i.e. shape and uniformity) is much better now
than it was even a couple of years ago. After experimenting with many
other hammers over the years, I won't put any other hammers on a NY
Steinway. In the past I would find myself soaking Steinway hammers 2-3
times in a 3:1 lacquer thinner to lacquer solution (2:1 for large
grands) before I felt there was a good foundation to the tone. With the
pre-lacquered hammers I'll still find myself soaking the set at least
once. Obviously this will make the surface quite bright. It is easy and
quick to get this harshness to go away with shallow needling at the
strikepoint which leaves the firmness underneath producing a big, fat
tone. This is the method that the Steinway concert techs use and it is
quite effective. I use this method whether the piano is going into a
practice room, living room or onstage though the smaller, lighter
hammers tend to need less lacquer. There must be a differentiation made
between the term "power" and "brightness". Some people (notably
pianists) seem to use those words interchangeably. The current NY
hammers sound fairly "bright" right out of the box but it is mainly
surface brightness. This brightness can be manipulated by surface
needling but if the hammer doesn't have a good foundation the tone may
then sound dead. If the hammer seems to "die" when you shallow-needle
the strikepoint, it probably needs more lacquer underneath.

The hammers are lacquered at the factory by being dipped together as a
set in what I was told is 3:1 lacquer for 30 seconds. This ensures a
certain amount of uniformity. It is hard to imagine that you have gotten
a set that is overlacquered unless somebody lost track and dipped your
set twice. Of course, stranger things have happened. BTW, I always
listen to the hammers in the piano before doing any lacquering.

Also BTW, Steinway will be offering a voicing class as part of the CAUT
program next June at the PTG convention in Anaheim. All, as always, are
welcome, of course.

Eric

Eric Wolfley, RPT
Head Piano Technician
Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music
University of Cincinnati