[CAUT] The "new" S&S Hammers.

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Sep 13 10:28:57 MDT 2007

The manufacturing improvement is that they are prelacquering the hammers out
of the factory.  I won't use them because of that and I think it's covering
for bad felt or poor pressing practices or both.  Ronsen Bacon or Ronsen
Wurzen will suit your needs the best.  The Bacon felt might need a slight
bit of lacquering but not stronger than 8:1 and usually only in the treble,
depending on the solids content of the lacquer and you goals.  The Wurzen
won't need anything but a fine polishing with up to 1000 grit paper and
sometimes they will need to be voiced down slightly.  Generally I'm finding
that the Bacon are good for the smaller pianos or those pianos with slightly
"looser" boards.  The Wurzen work well for B's and D's or boards that are
stiffer or heavier (they do vary).

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com