[CAUT] The "new" S&S Hammers.

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Thu Sep 13 12:17:16 MDT 2007

<<  They are bright indeed!!  Just this

morning the faculty pianist actually told me that now he "hates" this

piano.  I am trying keep him patient and working with them, but there is

only so much needling I can do.  I can't take the piano out of service

to wash them with thinner until maybe Christmas break.

So....   Anyone else have a better experience?  Maybe it's just this set-

You can reduce some of the problem by soaking the hammers in Acetone for an
hour. Just use a squeeze bottle and start at the top.  After they have been wet
for an hour or so, go back over the crowns with fresh acetone.  It will move
some of the hardener out away from the contact area.
  Leave it alone overnight, with say, a fan blowing on it, and you may find
that there is more body and fullness than you would expect.  It will certainly
have less noisy attack.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
http://www.aol.com</HTML>