[CAUT] The "new" S&S Hammers.

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Sep 13 11:44:42 MDT 2007

I cant speak for these hammers specifically, but in general I would
suggest never using stock hammers from any factory. There are several
suppliers of high quality hammers around... find a type you like to work
with for different types of instruments and stay with them.  Myself, I
use Wurzen II's from Renner and these are pressed to different degrees
depending on the type of piano.

Using a manufacturers hammers means getting used to voicing their way...
and perhaps to some degree accepting their idea of piano voice.  I dont
really like that idea so much myself.

Cheers
RicB

    Anyone care to share your experiences with the new S&S Hammers from
    this
    summer?  They come with a note to us Technicians......
    ________
    "Due to a process improvement in the manufacturing......  you may
    notice
    a slightly harder hammer.  With this in mind we would suggest that you
    do not juice these hammers before testing in the piano.  Juicing these
    hammers before installation and pre-testing may result in a brighter
    than anticipated tone. "
    ________

    OK-   Actually the hammers looked good and shaped up just fine.  I did
    not put one drop of lacquer or any other hardener on  these hammers
    except for  4 notes in the high treble.  The piano has been back in
    service now for a couple months.  They are bright indeed!!  Just this
    morning the faculty pianist actually told me that now he "hates" this
    piano.  I am trying keep him patient and working with them, but
    there is
    only so much needling I can do.  I can't take the piano out of service
    to wash them with thinner until maybe Christmas break.  The worst part
    is that it starts to make me look bad when the player is beginning to
    wish he had the old worn hammers back......  @#$!    I'm sorry, but we
    are not paid enough to take that kind of responsibility for materials.

    So....   Anyone else have a better experience?  Maybe it's just this
    set-

    thanks,

    Dennis Johnson
    St. Olaf College