[CAUT] Return of the swallow

maxpiano maxpiano at sc.rr.com
Tue Sep 11 17:38:10 MDT 2007

Tomorrow will be my third occasion to clean up a vertical for a piano teacher (different one each time), whose pupil came to the lesson ill and proceeded to empty her stomach contents into the piano.  My wife received the distress call today.  Parents teach kids to cover their mouths when they cough, why don't the kids also turn the head aside when the irrepressible spews forth?

The previous two occasions, one was a Baldwin Hamilton where the mess had been there over a year, had dried up and responded to a fairly routine cleaning under the keys.  The second was a Kimball spinet (why do people teach on those things) some distance from here, where it took me over a month to schedule the trip.  There was this black hairy mass of growth under the keys, and key bushings to replace.

My question is, how best to be prepared for tomorrow.  I assume rubber gloves and some dilute bleach for starters.  The piano is a Steinway (living room edition of the 1098) which I would like to leave as unruffled as possible.  Not that I have any particular affection for the 1098, but there is a lot of good workmanship in those beasts.

Bill Maxim BJU