[CAUT] center pinning changes/ long pin method

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Sep 11 10:31:21 MDT 2007

Hi Jim,
	Can you describe the long pin method? We discussed something along
those lines on this list a while back, but I never got all the
details. I understand one is using pins long enough to go through
several flanges, but I'm not clear how exactly one proceeds. Does the
whole length of the long pin get pushed through the bird's eye of
each flange? That seems awfully cumbersome and potentially a bit
destructive.
	Joe Goss has long burnishers - very long as in a meter or so - for
all American sizes of pins, and those can be used as you describe for
pulling through the bushing. I must say I am a bit skeptical about
the idea that it makes much difference doing the pulling in one
direction, but maybe you're right.
	 In burnishing center felt, it seems to me that the burnisher is
going to be pressing against the felt hard enough that fibers
wouldn't be able to move around, at least significantly. At this
point in my own work I mostly do a rapid back and forth action, fast
enough and enough of them to create a good bit of heat. (You can get
heat pulling the burnisher through all the way rapidly, but  I think
I get more heat faster by doing back and forth, as the metal of the
burnisher heats up). That seems to set the felt quite nicely. And it
seems to be possible to move up a half size to a full size just using
burnishing action without removing any felt, just the ironing action.
I haven't been doing it this way long enough to have a good sense for
longevity and whatnot, but it seems to be good so far. Certainly
makes sense, as long as the felt in the bushings doesn't swell later,
maybe due to humidity rise, and make the centers sluggish, and I
haven't found that in university pianos, which get quite a bit of
use. Of course I am dealing with my own humidity environment, which
is typically 10% to 60% range.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico