[CAUT] center pinning changes/ long pin method

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Mon Sep 10 12:48:31 MDT 2007

Hi Ted,

Just some feedback on the "long pinning method" you mention below
(Thanks Jurgen!). I have been doing this for quite a while now and it
seems to have much more longevity and be more stable than other methods.
I think it is because the long pin pulls one direction through the
center, thus "combing" the fibers in one direction and packing them in
tight. When I use other back and forth burnishing techniques and "shake
down" the parts the grams may go from say 5 to 4 or 3 until they become
immovable. With the long pinning method there is no "shaking down"
necessary or possible. Either way is good and can be done to perfection,
but this "European way" is becoming my preferred method because of this
instant and permanent stability and better longevity. Better Longevity
means that I repin about every 3-4 years instead of every 2-3 years. It
may be even better than that because I'm at about 4 years since I
started using the method and some are still good!

Regards,
Jim Busby BYU