[CAUT] center pinning changes

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Tue Sep 11 04:53:05 MDT 2007

>To avoid pushing the points through the far bushing I press part
>way, relax and press a second time,

I always use a chase pin.  That is a pin which is of a smaller diameter
and easily fits into the birdseye, usually a #18 0r 19. This lines up the
bushings with the center, one push.  I use the hand-held H-style pinning tool.

When doing a set, I press the pin out part way on all the flanges. This way I
don't need to be picking up the tool so often because after I cut the
pin, I pick
up the next flange and pull the pin with the nippers. Tools are placed in order
of use to limit hand motions: Pin press - nippers - reamer - burnisher - pins.

Nippers pull the pin, ream, dip burnisher into Teflon Powder/ burnish,
insert chase pin - insert replacement pin, press, nip, pull pin on next,
ream, burnish... all the while maintaining quality control of friction.
--

Regards,

Jon Page