[CAUT] center pinning changes

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon Sep 10 14:58:44 MDT 2007

At 23:37 -0400 9/9/07, A440A at aol.com wrote:

>  JD writes:
>
><<  Today I have inspected the centres of an 1895
>piano with an Isermann action.  Since this piano has had very light
>use and  is virtually as good as new, I shall probably not even
>re-centre but use Protek, since most of the centres here are also
>perfect.  >>
>
>     Why would you put protek on  pinning that has been perfect for over 100
>years?

I said that MOST of them are perfect, and besides they are pretty
clean.  You might ask also why I re-centred the Kirkman throughout in
spite of the fact that the existing centres were behaving perfectly.
 From the look of the pins I extracted you would not have expected
them to work well at all, and who knows what would have happened to
them with regular use when the piano is rebuilt.  I generally renew
all centres and rarely use protek, but in the case of the 1895 Pfaffe
I know its full history, it is very clean and has hardly been played.
I cna be sure that the pins will last for a good many years yet.

JD