[CAUT] center pinning changes

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue Sep 11 00:59:40 MDT 2007

At 23:33 -0400 10/9/07, Ted Sambell wrote:

>Thank you for your response, John. German silver centrepins have
>long been used in this part of the world.Of course, it is not
>silver, my understanding is that it is a high quality brass alloy,
>probably nickel, as you suggest. I think most reputable technicians
>frown on plated pins.

I did have a good stock of all sizes of Schaff pins, which I liked
very much.  These are a very light golden colour and have a smooth
rounded point.  I keep meaning to order some more.  Are they still
the same?  When I started in the trade the quality of pins available
here was dreadful and I used a supplier in Denmark, but their pins
were too hard and brittle.  Finally pins arrived from Japan and these
are fine.  Having both Japanese and American sizes gives me a very
finely graduated range of diameters.

Schaff pins are probably of "nickel brass" or one of the coinage
alloys rather than "nickel silver" or "German silver", which is less
yellow in colour, containing more nickel.  The Japanese pins are very
white and silvery on the outside and more brassy on the inside.   The
exact composition of the metal would probably be difficult to
discover without analysis.  The fact is that those centres that are
still good after 100+ years have plated pins, so these can't be all
bad!  Plating generally, though, is not what it used to be.  I am
just restoring the dampers of a French Herrburger-Schwander action on
a 1900+ Bechstein.  The damper springs are plated, polish up like new
with just a rag and are as strong as when they were first used.

>  I have both of the tools you show, but on site I use the usual
>repinning tool because it can be used to press the pins homeas
>well.ÊTo avoid pushing the points through the far bushing I press
>part way, relax and press a second time, so that the flange
>straightens itself to line up the holes.I believe most technicians
>do this.

Yes.  It's also important to take a second bite when decentring in
order not to scuff the bushing on the entry side.  When I push in the
pin (with the nippers) I don't push it right up to the bushing but
stop a mm or so short and then moe the nippers in to cut flush.  This
is to make sure that any change in the diameter due to the pressure
does not affect the pin in the bushing.

JD