[CAUT] center pinning changes

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Sep 9 06:26:49 MDT 2007

Hi Alan.

In this exact instance I cant say really... but graphite has been sited
by many to cause similar symptoms. And the reasoning behind the charges
seem sound. I think that graphite in bushings is not a good idea in any
case.... especially since there seems to be a much better alternative...
namely teflon.

I have run into one instrument where the treatment I outlined did not
stay very stable over a long period and I had to go back and redo some
of the re-pinning.  That was a very old Bechstein that had quite crusty
bushings.  The lady didnt have any money really... certainly not enough
to replace parts and hardly enough to pay me either.  So there has been
some pro-bono work there :)  Otherwise... on newer instruments that I
have reasonable grounds to believe that graphite is the primary foreign
agent in use.... this works great.

Cheers
RicB

    Hi Ric,

    So you think the graphite is the culprit?? Is the graphite only on
    the surface of the cloth, such that once you treat as per your post,
    they stay stable?
    thanks,

    Alan E.