[CAUT] center pinning changes

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Sep 8 02:55:54 MDT 2007

Hi Alan, others

Renner has for years insisted upon using graphite in their center pin
bushings. They state they have carried out extensive studies that refute
claims that graphite can cause centers to seize after some use.
Lubrications usually have a temporary affect in my experience, but not
always.  My general solution is to re-pin, reaming the bushing very
lightly to get some of the graphite out, and working some telfon powder
into the bushings before inserting the new pin.  Seems to allow for a
tighter pining for same friction levels.

Cheers
RicB

    List(s),

    I've noticed something that I don't understand on a few actions with
    Renner parts.  Initially, the pinning is just right (either came that
    way or were made that way).  Eventually, some of the pinning becomes
    too tight.  When I apply the smallest drop of lubricant, the pinning
    that was too tight immediately becomes too loose.  This has happened
    with both hammer and repetition lever centers.  I don't get it.  Has
    anyone out there had a similar experience?  Does anyone have any idea
    what is going on?

    Thanks,

    Alan Eder