[CAUT] center pinning changes

Thomas Seay t.seay at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Sep 7 16:35:46 MDT 2007

>List(s),
>
>I've noticed something that I don't understand on a few actions with
>Renner parts.  Initially, the pinning is just right (either came
>that way or were made that way).  Eventually, some of the pinning
>becomes too tight.  When I apply the smallest drop of lubricant, the
>pinning that was too tight immediately becomes too loose.  This has
>happened with both hammer and repetition lever centers.  I don't get
>it.  Has anyone out there had a similar experience?  Does anyone
>have any idea what is going on?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Alan Eder

This is a common issue with "some" sets of Renner parts, certainly
not all of them. I had a set of shanks and flanges with excessive
friction which would not go away. I unpinned all the parts, put a
center pin one size smaller in all the flanges and sized the cloth
with methanol and water. After the parts dried, I repinned with the
same size pin that came out and the pinning was almost perfect, plus
the friction problems went away permanently.

I don't know what causes this, but I see it all the time.

Good luck.

Tom
--
Tom Seay, RPT