[CAUT] bechstein opinions sought

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Tue Jun 26 14:28:44 MDT 2007

John:

I've only had experience with 2 Bechstein concert grands - one was an old model E that was just old.  The other was a model EN from the 1980s.  The EN was a nice piano with a good sound.  As the hammers wore it was more difficult to voice pleasantly and by the time I stopped servicing that instrument it really needed new hammers.  (I stopped doing all outside work when I became full-time at SMU.)  The other thing about that one was the 88 agraffes.  The hammers on the top 3 notes had to be very skinny to hit the appropriate place on the string (very close to the agraffe) and not hit the belly rail.  It had been a nice piano, and with some work would be again.

As to comparing it with a D, I'd have to say which D?  It was much better than many, and not as good as a few.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University