[CAUT] Speaking of stability......

johnsond johnsond at stolaf.edu
Fri Jun 22 08:59:52 MDT 2007

Hi again-

Thanks for the comments.  That's certainly an impressive program at
Juilliard....!  I think you emphasized the main issue at stake, which is
defending the amount of time we require in the hall to maintain the
standard that is expected there.  It's an uncomfortable argument to make
when we know that the players are often not getting all the rehearsal
time they desire either.  So it goes- but that aside, and back to the
pianos,  what I was really thinking about in terms of more time on
performance concert grands was not all the regulation and voicing, but
rather the fact that I can tune a nice 6' grand with say a 4 cent pitch
adjustment in 2 hours or less and confidently know that it is rock solid
stable and beautifully tuned as good as possible.  I can not say the
same for a concert grand. In fact about the only time I can know for
sure that I'll feel that good about the tuning on a concert grand is if
there is no adjustment at all.  It's this difference that I was hoping
to quantify in more understandable or specific terms.   There is also
the real issue on our own part of perhaps sometimes taking the whole
experience too personally.  We want to keep the "magic" going.  It's so
cool when that happens and is appreciated.  It's simply not possible for
"magic" to happen all the time- same with performances, and musicians do
understand that.

cheers~

dennis.
St. Olaf College