[CAUT] Speaking of stability......

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Wed Jun 20 17:22:48 MDT 2007

On Jun 19, 2007, at 4:16 PM, johnsond wrote:

> Certainly concert grands are more transparent, but this is not to
> imply that somehow our standards are compromised on smaller
> instruments.

Sure it is.  That is exactly the situation.  It is impossible to
maintain regulation, tuning and voicing on teaching and rehearsal
instruments at the level required of a performance piano.  We do
indeed compromise our standards on smaller instruments.

>   We can tune faculty studio grands once a month and everybody is
> happy to get it done that often.

They would be even happier if you could touch them up once a week or
more.  I have a NY Times article here on the piano maintenance
program at Julliard.  "Even with twice the staff, it would be hard to
keep up.  The pianos in the teaching studios are tuned or at least
touched up every day, starting at 7 am., when [the] primary assistant
[technician]...makes his morning rounds."  A photo caption reads:
"Masaru Tsumita, left, the chief piano technician at the Juilliard
School, presides over its piano workshop and supervises four full-
time and three part-time assistants." (I count 8 technicians in that
statement)  The article title is : "274 Pianos to Coddle? You Have to
Pull Strings"  The article body says 247 pianos, so something is a
misprint.  Either way, that indicates a tech to piano ratio of either
1:34.25 or 1:30.88, and still "even with twice the staff, it would be
hard to keep up".

Here is how I would put it.

"We are inadequately staffed to actually be able to maintain all the
teaching and practice pianos to the level the faculty and students
deserve.  But one commitment we can make to every student, faculty
member and guest artist during their time here is the opportunity to
present and attend recitals at as close to the level of professional
artists as possible.  That means a concert piano as finely prepared
as is possible on the stage.  For most students, this may be their
only opportunity to perform with such well prepared instruments.  For
others, who may pursue further education, recordings of performances
may play an important part of their success at being accepted at
other institutions.  In either case such a commitment is worthy.  To
be able to maintain that commitment, a reasonable amount of time is
required each day to ensure the concert piano is prepared for each
day's performances, and can be reliably depended on to perform at top
level."

Or something to that effect.

We have been in somewhat of a battle here over my ever shrinking
concert prep time.  The school is growing and what we really need is
a second performance venue.  What is happening is our little hall is
being over crowded.  But they want to use more of my time, and I am
fighting, for their benefit, to not allow it to be consumed.  They
have made statements to the effect that they have always been very
happy with the piano in the hall and don't see where I need so much
time.  My reply is that the reason they are happy with the piano in
the hall is because I have enough time right now.  If they take that
time away, and let's say we have a major climate change the night
before and the tuning goes haywire (and it will), then who suffers
from the loss of piano prep time?

I have never thought of larger grands as necessarily any more
unstable than smaller ones.  In fact, more the opposite.  Rather, the
performance venue is likely less climactically stable than a teaching
studio, and so, change is more constant.  But we expect more from the
performance grands too, so they do require more work to meet that
expectation.

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina