[CAUT] University rentals

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Jun 19 11:26:50 MDT 2007

Dear List,

Over the last year, the School of Music here at UNL has had an increasing
number of requests to rent or borrow grand pianos for various events both
on and off campus.  Our charges are apparantly much cheaper than the music
store in town and are considering upping the fee to at least meet their
prices and perhaps be slightly higher-Not to just make more $, but to
discourage so much moving around of our pianos. Also, our pianos worth
going out in public are much better cared for than your average store
rental.  We use two Steinway B's and a " 50%"  rebuilt Steinway L (new
pinblock,bridge restoration, restrung  and new stack earlier this year)
I have had to interrupt status quo of several classrooms to "borrow" its
grand and  put in an upright for short periods of time,  and not only
getting complaints from faculty, but also see a "snowball" effect
developing of increasing demands!  We are considering designating a 1911
Steinway A being fully restored this summer to pose as the "rental"  It's
home was in a practice room, but will be relocated in a faculty
meeting/gathering/reception room.

I have been asked to come up with a "rental policy" of grands for outside
performances.  We need to determine rental charges and all the right
rules, etc.

Do any of y'all have such policies for these kind of events?  I would be
very interested in hearing/reading your thoughts!

See you KC!

Paul T. Williams RPT
Piano Technician
School of Music