[CAUT] Steinway repetition center pin height

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Fri Jun 15 20:38:06 MDT 2007

 Greetings,

  I wrote:
>>I think he is referring to capsizing the action, where the hammer

    shank is so far below its rest position that the jack cannot return under
the

    knuckle. >>

RicB writes:
<<  I dont think I've ever run into this situation. And I

am trying to picture how it could come about. Anyone care on expounding

on this a bit more? <<

       Yes,  When the hammershank is too far above its rebound cushion,
(often miscalled the "rest cushion"),  there exists the possiblitity that under
fast repetition, the hammer will rebound all the way down to the cushion while
the jack is escaped.  In this event, the key cannot return high enough to allow
the jack to reset and the note will not play until the key has been struck
several times and the balancier lifts the jack aaaallllll the way back up so that
the key can reset.  The basic problem is that the knuckle can be so low in
the coincidental arcs formed by the hammershank and whippen, (as measured at the
knuckle/ repetition interface), that jack can't get underneath it from this
low a position.
      If there is a tremendous spring strength, this effect can be minimized,
but then you have a very definite resistance to escapement, ruining the
sensitivity of pianissimo playing.
Hope this helps,

Ed Foote RPT<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> See what's
free at http://www.aol.com.</HTML>