[CAUT] brightening a Yamaha

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Jun 14 14:36:53 MDT 2007

Hi guys..

Several have written that they've never had to brighten up a Yamaha.
I've had too on a number of occassions. Worst case was a U3 about 6
years ago... brand new and was delivered straight from the importer at
the time... Voiced down like hell because they had initially placed it
at the countries big music college in Oslo to line up against
<<traditional European>> makes. For some reason they felt this meant
they needed to round the tone off rather aggressively.

The purchasers in a place a bit south of our west coast town of Bergen
bought it as <<new>> at a deal price and were shocked at not having that
well know bright Yamaha sound.  When I first saw the instrument it was
shall we say... mush.  I was reminded of my earliest of voicing lessons
where I was told to first listen for either a <<Quack>> sound... (to
unvoiced) or a <<Mooo>> sound... (to voiced).  This one was well beyond
Mooo.  It wasnt even a cow anymore :)

There was no choice in this case... Laquer.  Or new hammers... but on a
brand new piano... ??  nope.  Laquer.

Since then I find the Yamahas delivered around here very often what I
would call over voiced.  Typical I suppose if you figure on an
instrument being delivered to a place where a lot of use is expected and
you count on it being banged bright again.   Not my choice of voicing
methods... but I understand the reasoning well enough.  In these cases I
place the tails up on my voicing block and use the back of my voicing
tool to bang in some months of use, then file to mate to the (leveled)
strings, and then if needed touch up with an iron.  Works great lasts a
long time.

Deep needling techniques to open the hammer... release some of the low
shoulder power have also been suggested... this is good too, but it
doesnt necessarilly add brightness as much as it adds body and power. At
least thats my sensation of that kind of needling.

Cheers
RicB