[CAUT] recital hall size/ piano size

Andrew Anderson andrew at andersonmusic.com
Wed Jun 13 08:11:28 MDT 2007

Barbara,
BYU HI, an "All Steinway" school, did a side by side comparison
between a Sauter Omega (220cm) and a Steinway D with the music
faculty when they were choosing a new instrument.  They chose the
Sauter as the more musical instrument.  I've had one next to a
concert grand too, and it was the more powerful instrument as
well.  Your school is probably not in my dealer territory.  There
aren't a whole lot of dealers yet.  I can put you in-touch with
Sauter USA who can connect you with your nearest dealer.  Sauter will
compete in an open bidding process and you might want to check it
out.  Sauter will have an new (not played-in) Omega in Kansas City at
the exhibit.  If you have a chance stop buy and dig into the
details.  It is a very technician-friendly design.  I would
definitely prefer it over a Yamaha or a NY Steinway when it comes to
quality of technical execution.  Tone is a matter of preference, but
I do like being able to hear Debussy clearly as opposed to the mush
we've all become accustomed to.

YPMV
Andrew Anderson