[CAUT] shaping with loose screws

Wimblees at aol.com Wimblees at aol.com
Wed Jun 13 07:32:43 MDT 2007

Jim

That's good advice. I heard about that rule, too, but I forgot.

Wim

In a message dated 6/13/07 6:15:58 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
harvey.pianotech at gmail.com writes:

Wim,

I tend to follow the advice of many books, and my mentors,  one of whom
always said that rule #1 was to tighten the screws, and rule #2  was to
make sure the screws are tight.

The theory is that by  tightening first, you stabilize things, and, you
don't run the risk of  having junk get between the flanges and the
rails -- in this case, hammer  filings which could then (arguably)
influence hammer travel -- which will  need correcting anyway if
they're that loose, whether tightening is first  or not.

I might suggest that any traumatized centers should be treated  as a
separate item.

--
Jim Harvey,  RPT
<harvey.pianotech at gmail.com>