[CAUT] recital hall size/ piano size

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 13 07:32:11 MDT 2007

Barbara-

I would suggest looking at storage and maintenance costs as well.  What will the climate situation be? Is there a regular maintenance budget?  A 7' piano, well cared for, will ultimately deliver a lot more service than a neglected 9' piano. That extra "two feet" might be better spent on a storage closet and climate control.

Are they ready to maintain a "high maintenance piano" or should they lower their sights to something that hangs in there pretty good with infrequent voicing and regulation?

(My experience with community colleges and piano budgets hasn't been real positive.)

Ed Sutton