[CAUT] recital hall size/ piano size

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Jun 13 06:54:46 MDT 2007

Good point, Wim,

Our East Campus just finished remodeling a lecture/performance hall that
seats about 300.  The stage is very small and they want to ressurect an
east campus choir.  Their piano is way too small (a Baldwin M), but the
stage is way too small as well, so they will have to mike it.  A Sty D or
even a B would limit the size of the choir.

Barbara,  did you consider a Yamaha c-7?   I beleive it is 7'6".  How big
is the stage?

Paul

Wimblees at aol.com
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
06/12/2007 05:36 PM
Please respond to
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

caut at ptg.org
cc

Subject
Re: [CAUT] recital hall size/ piano size

Hi all,

I'm serving as a consultant to a local junior college that is building a
new facility and purchasing instruments for it.  The recital hall will
seat 350.  Even at this small size (well, small compared to other places
I've worked), I would think it would be preferable to be looking at 9'
pianos, compared to something in the 7' range.  I could be mistaken,
though. (I'm a great consultant, hey?)  I've been told the acoustics will
be good (that's what they all say...).  What do you think?

Thanks,

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, IL

The other thing to consider, Barbara, is the size of the stage. It might
be nice to have a 9', on the stage, but if there isn't enough room for
that, and a small ensemble, there are going to be a lot of logistical
problems. The small recital hall at UA only seats 140, and we could have a
D, but the stage is so small, by the time you put the B on it, with a 20
voice chorus, or a 10 piece ensemble, it get's very crowded.

Wim

See what's free at AOL.com.