[CAUT] recital hall size/ piano size

Wimblees at aol.com Wimblees at aol.com
Tue Jun 12 16:36:44 MDT 2007

Hi all,

I'm serving as a consultant to a  local junior college that is building a new
facility and purchasing  instruments for it.  The recital hall will seat 350.
 Even at this  small size (well, small compared to other places I've worked),
I would think  it would be preferable to be looking at 9' pianos, compared to
something  in the 7' range.  I could be mistaken, though. (I'm a great
consultant,  hey?)  I've been told the acoustics will be good (that's what they all
say...).  What do you think?

Thanks,

Barbara Richmond,  RPT
near Peoria,  IL

The other thing to consider, Barbara, is the size of the stage. It might be
nice to have a 9', on the stage, but if there isn't enough room for that, and
a  small ensemble, there are going to be a lot of logistical problems. The
small  recital hall at UA only seats 140, and we could have a D, but the stage is
so  small, by the time you put the B on it, with a 20 voice chorus, or a 10
piece  ensemble, it get's very crowded.

Wim