[CAUT] shaping with loose screws

Wimblees at aol.com Wimblees at aol.com
Tue Jun 12 14:32:21 MDT 2007

I just shaped the hammers, tightened the screws, etc. on an old  upright. I
shaped the hammers before tightening the flange screws. (They were  pretty
loose). But is that what most of you do, or he other way around? My  theory is
that with a "loose" flange, there won't be as much side pressure on  the centers
as I shape the hammers. I am right with my theory, or will a  tight flange
hold the butt better, and not put pressure on the center?

Wim
Willem Blees,  RPT
Author, "The Business of Piano Tuning".
available from Potter  Press.