[CAUT] treating bridges for stability

Cramer, Mark Cramer at BrandonU.CA
Tue Jun 12 14:12:19 MDT 2007

I've intended to do a test much like those discussed recently, to see which product penetrated best.

Though I use both epoxy and CA for bridge treatment, some skepticism remains from the days we first discovered just exactly how far pin-block tightener DIDN'T penetrate the pinblock.

Now, with all the interest in testing this stuff, chances seem very good that I can just sit here and wait to read about someone else's results, rather than run the tests myself.  :>)

BTW, I intend to add a bit of colored dye to both the CA and epoxy, so depth would be easy to see.

In addition to testing epoxy cold and heated, I think "thinned: would also make a good test, expecially for cap penetration. Many of us have been using "this" method, thanks to Bill Spurlock's article over a decade ago.

After some stock has been pinned and treated (i.e. a post-pinning treatment), the pins should be removed, then the stock could be ripped to bi-sect the holes, and the results should be plain as day.

Any takers?

I'm putting a new shank-slotting jig through the paces, otherwise I could look at this in a week or so.

best regards,
Mark Cramer

PS Be encouraged; the 'process' may be a bit gritty, but we're arguing our way through some very critical technology, stuff most manufacturers are aware of but only a few are presently willing to deal with. We might very well get there first! ;>)