[CAUT] pre-stretching new string?

reggaepass at aol.com reggaepass at aol.com
Tue Jun 12 08:36:38 MDT 2007

I am not in the habit of discussing caut threads with my family at the dinner table, but just the other night I told them that we have pretty much dispelled the old myth I have been mouthing all my career as to why pianos change pitch more in the lowest unwrapped wire than elsewhere.  When they asked what the "real" reason is, I said that we do not yet know for sure, and it may take weeks or months or years to nail it down, but when we do, it will be a major breakthrough in our collective understanding of the beast.  And we will be making an historical contribution to piano technology (which we could count as yet another gift from caut to the greater industry).

Alan Eder