[CAUT] pre-stretching new string?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Jun 11 12:15:21 MDT 2007

David

I'n not being antagonistic at all. I am just trying to help you
understand something you seem clearly confused about. The two unknown
formula link you offered for example.... there is no way you can use
that in the context you have suggested.  Its a completely different
problem type.

The Tension formula is T = f^2*L^2*d^2* K  where K = the string density
* PI / 981

You cant fit that into solving for an  aX+bY=c problem.

There is no way around it. You can calculate the change in length and
measure the pitch change to get tension... or you can calculate change
in length and change in tension to get pitch.... but you have to get two
of these in order to get the third.

As far as the diameter is concerned.  Use the spreadsheet I supplied
with accompanying justifying formulas.  You can easily enough juggle the
input tension for different wire diameters for same wire lengths to get
the same starting frequencies. Then change the deflection input for both
strings.  As long as they are the same length... any same deflection
will cause the same frequency change.

Cheers
RicB

    See my other post but of course diameter plays a role.  It is a
    factor in
    determining break point percentage.  A thicker string will have a higher
    break point percentage and a thicker string will need to be at a higher
    tension to achieve a certain frequency at a given length than will a
    thinner
    string.  Simple stuff.  The claim about BPP as a factor in
    determining which
    string will go out of tune more goes way back.  You don't need to
    use BPP in
    the formula, you can simply calculate it for the two strings in
    question and
    observe the relationship-see my other (corrected post).  Please
    don't be so
    antagonistic.  I'm really trying to help you here.