[CAUT] pre-stretching new string Wet vs Dry Soundboard

Don pianotuna at accesscomm.ca
Sun Jun 10 17:21:56 MDT 2007

Hi Fred,

I agree about a plethora of factors.

RCT does not use "calculated figures"--but Chameleon 1 did rely on actual
physical measurments of the strings to generate a tuning "chart". It still
exists in the windows laptop version of RCT but may not be used very often.

My historys with FAC readings generally became lower over time with repeat
tunings to A440--unless there was a spike (either up or down) in humidity
levels. Then "all bets were off". I never analysed them for "trends".
Unfortunately I no longer have the data to work with.

For what ever reasons I generally do not find stored tunings satisfactory.
Nor do I enjoy "machine" unisons.

All I am offering is my observations in a very general and non scientific
way. Humidity control works--it would be nice to know why and how--seeing
as apparently most of us have been wandering down a "garden path" rather
than the real world.

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
306-539-0716 or 1-888-29t-uner