[CAUT] pre-stretching new string?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Jun 10 05:55:11 MDT 2007

Hi Bob

I dont try at this point to explain this or related questions.  I
approach this from a slightly different angle.  If a change in string
tension is at the root of the seasonal pitch changes we see, then it
seems to me that one should first take a look at what needs to happen to
the string itself for that to happen. One can use the formula provided
by Galembo in sort of reverse fashion to do exactly this.  We observe a
pitch change and <<attribute>> it to a a combination of a change in
string tension and length....  so what such combination needs to occur
to account for a given pitch change ?

Doing this... one sees the required changes lack at present a good
explanation... at least as far as I can see. If tension / lengths are
changing to the degree required to account for the patterns and amounts
of pitch changes we see... then the present explanations dont do it.

Cheers
RicB

    I've been following this discussion with some interest, and don't
    have any
    strong opinions or data on one side or the other of the
    soundboard/bridge
    debate.  However, I'd be interested in how the various factions
    explain the
    difference in humidity-related pitch change between the treble and bass
    bridges.  We've all observed the same sort of difference with both
    solid-body and cantilevered bridges, so I don't think it can be
    explained by
    simply saying, "Bass bridges have more wood, so they expand and contract
    more."  And how about those Yamaha C3s where the lowest octave of
    the tenor
    bridge has far greater seasonal pitch swings than any other part of the
    scale, treble or bass?

    Just wondering

    Bob Hohf