[CAUT] pre-stretching new string?

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Jun 7 17:25:16 MDT 2007

On Jun 7, 2007, at 2:21 PM, Fred Sturm wrote:

> One of the Fandrich's (I forget which, but think Darrell) wrote
> about pitch change due to elongation of the bridge toward the tenor
> end about ten years ago, citing speaking length change as a major
> factor.

	I looked up that article, (7/96, by Darrell), and confess I am more
confused reading it today than I was then. Very interesting article,
filled with calculations and observations. I _think_ the point he was
making was about treble bridge expansion "along the grain" causing
greater pitch change at the bottom of that bridge, based on the
bridge pins "pulling" (elongating) the wire (ie, friction between
pins and string allowing the bridge to pull the string away from the
front termination, thereby raising tension). He writes of creating
greater physical stability in that area of the soundboard assembly
(adding wood and screws), and that this had a noticeable and dramatic
impact on stability of the bottom of the treble bridge. But I guess I
don't really follow all his explanations. DIdn't at the time, to the
point of writing a long and rather pompous letter to the editor
finding fault with his calculations. [It can be rather embarrassing
to look back at oneself from a perspective of ten years later <G>.]
	Anyhow, there are a few articles by Del, mixed with a couple by
Darrell, and a few letters by yours truly in that period of a few
months before and after, speculating about wood and moisture and
pitch. Perhaps we are a little farther along in our knowledge of
these things now. Sometimes I wonder <G>. I promised to do a whole
lot of research in a couple of those letters. Never found the time to
do it right (documenting). Just kept observing and puzzling. I feel a
lot more puzzled now than I did then. I think I know a good bit more
about how things behave (as in what pitch change is observed
following humidity change, what patterns occur, and what variants),
but the mechanism and the theory behind it are more clouded than ever
- much more complicated.
	I will say that Ron's observations about bridges and bridge pins are
definitely an enormously valuable contribution to the mix. I'm
curious about what data is out there physically and accurately
measuring soundboard rise and fall on strung pianos in response to
humidity change. Have there been such measurements? One reads a lot
of assertions about seasonal increase/decrease in bearing and crown
and its affect on tone quality. Is that just fertile imagination, or
are there physical measurements to back it up?
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu