[CAUT] pre-stretching new string?

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Jun 9 20:04:58 MDT 2007

I think it's not so much the bass bridges as it is the tension and break
point percentages of the various sections.  The degree to which a string
goes out of tune will be a function of the break point percentage (BPP) when
it is at pitch (thanks Ron N. for clarifying that).  The lower the BPP, the
greater the change in pitch for a given change in length.  The top end of
the bass section is generally considerably higher BPP than the low tenor,
and the low tenor is usually the lowest BPP in the entire piano and thus
goes out of tune the most with seasonal changes.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com