[CAUT] pre-stretching new string?

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Sat Jun 9 20:06:20 MDT 2007

On Jun 9, 2007, at 5:33 PM, Bob Hohf wrote:

> However, I'd be interested in how the various factions explain the
> difference in humidity-related pitch change between the treble and
> bass
> bridges.

Hi Bob,
That was pretty much my question a while back, though the reason I
asked it was more in reference to claims that steel wire doesn't
continue to stretch after the initial settling.  So far, what we have
come up with is that the wound strings are at a higher tension than
the lowest steel strings, and so smaller changes in tension result in
larger changes in pitch with the lower tension part of the scale
(even though smaller changes in tension make larger changes in pitch
at lower cps).

And here we'd always been led to believe it was because they
stretched across the longest portion of soundboard where the most
change had opportunity to occur.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina