[CAUT] pre-stretching new string?

Michael Jorgensen jorge1ml at cmich.edu
Fri Jun 8 13:38:32 MDT 2007

REVELATION:
  We tune by listening only to the OUTPUT pitches of the soundboard
resulting from the INPUT forces of the strings.  If the INPUT of the strings
stays constant, but the board changed in stiffness due to humidity, the
OUTPUT pitches would be different with the same INPUT.  SO WE CHANGE THE
TENSION ON THE STRINGS OR THE INPUT TO GET WHAT WE WANT.  This would explain
how giant pitch swings can occur without any corresponding major change in
string length, tension, bridge position, or changes in crown.
  I doubt one could tune a piano by adjusting wire tensions to
pre-calculated theoretical amounts without listening to the pitches and
achieve any reasonable result.

-Mike Jorgensen----I'm outa here for a week now.