[CAUT] pre-stretching new string?

Mark Cramer Cramer at BrandonU.ca
Thu Jun 7 15:15:23 MDT 2007

That's what we've always been taught, but the numbers don't
come close to supporting it.

Ron N

some more numbers for you Ron....

I just went down and measured note #40 on a 1963 Baldwin L we have yet to
re-string, which had 1mm positive bearing when we prepped it last summer:

The bridge surface is presently THREE MILLIMETERS LOWER ( 1/8th" )

i.e.: TWO MILLIMETERS NEGATIVE, relative to the front and rear terminations.
(RH 34%)

(an improvement from measurements I last posted 05/03/07; RH 9%)

.2mm cap rise I can see, given the approximate 6mm thickness of this cap at
note #40, but 3 whole millimeters drop?

Three millimeters, now that's a meaty number.... where'd all that wood go?

(inquiring minds, even wandering ones, need to know ;>)

best regards
Mark Cramer
Brandon University